Application for Admission to a Community School

Guidance Notes

Items marked mandatory must be completed

Guidance Notes
Please note that this is an on-line form and is NOT to be printed and filled in by hand.
a) The attached application form may only be made by all parties holding parental responsibility for the child concerned. If you do not hold parental responsibility for the child concerned, you will need to arrange for the application to be completed by the person holding parental responsibility, or alternatively provide written permission.
b) The School Admissions code of Practice (Wales) gives parent(s) and (s) the right to express a preference for their child to be admitted to any school maintained from public funds. The application form invites parents / guardians to express up to three preferences (in order of priority).
c) If you are moving into Monmouthshire, we will require you to provide us with evidence to verify the address that you will be moving into. Suitable evidence would be a copy of your exchange of contracts / rental agreement.
d) We will endeavour to process your application within seven working days. However, in some circumstances, e.g. if your child has Additional Educational needs / behavioural issues, we may take a little longer to process your form.
e) If your child is not a British / EU citizen, you will be required to provide us with a copy of your child's visa at the time of application.
f) Applications are processed and prioritised in date order of receipt. If the number of application forms received on a particular day exceed the number of available places, the Authority's oversubscription criteria will be applied to determine who is to be awarded the place(s).
g) If the School's admission number (maximum number) for your child's year group has not been met, and your child's additional needs (if applicable) can be met at this School, your application will be approved. You will receive written confirmation of this and your child cannot start School until this is received. You will then need to contact the Headteacher to arrange a suitable start date.
h) If the School's admission number (maximum number) has been met in your child's year group, it will be necessary for the Local Authority to refuse the admission. In these circumstances, a letter will be issued outlining the reason for the decision and also the procedure for registering an appeal against this decision. In the event that your child is refused a place at your preferred School, you will be offered a place at your alternative preference (if available) / next nearest available School.
i) Should your child be refused a place at your preferred School, your application for that School will remain open until the grounds for appeal have been exhausted (this date will be on your refusal letter). Therefore, if a place were to become available during this time we will contact you. However, once the grounds for appeal have been exhausted, you will be required to submit a new application for any place(s) that may become available.
j) Pupils will remain on the roll of their current School until such point that the application to transfer Schools has been authorised. Parents / Guardians should ensure that the child concerned continues to attend this School during this interim period.
k) Applications in respect of looked after children (in the care of the Local Authority) must be completed by the Social Worker. The Social Worker will take the lead on obtaining the following information which will be shared with the school at a pre admission meeting before the child is made an offer of a place.
- Pupil support/education plan
- Educational Psychologist report
- Views of the parents
- Details from previous school
- Information from SEN (if appropriate)
The Social Worker should also inform the Local Authority's Looked After Children's Education Coordinator to inform them of the proposed move.
l) If it is your wish for your child to attend a Voluntary Aided School, you will need to submit your application to the School. This is because the Governing Body are responsible for authorising admissions into their School.